Deep Tissue Massage for headaches and migraines eases trigger points and tension in the muscles of the upper back, shoulders and neck which refer pain into the head. Often tension in the Trapezius muscle refers pain into the back of the head around the ear and eyes. Long hours spent sitting working at a computer, with your head forward and rounded shoulders can keep building the tension in Trapezius and this can contribute to headaches and migraines.
Massage therapy has been shown to help reduce the frequency of headaches in a paper in the American Public Health Association.
The Symptoms of Headaches and Migraines
- Aching head
- Pain in the head, front, sides and back
- Pain behind the eyes
- Flashing lights
Deep Tissue Massage can help treat headaches and migraines if you know
- The tops of your shoulders are tight (Trapezius muscle)
- You have tension at the base of your skull (Occiput)
- You have more headaches since straining yourself during sport or lifting or other physical activity
- You have noticed more headaches whilst spending hours sitting at a desk or in front of a computer
- You have been through a really trying time
- Its been incredibly stressful at work
- You’ve had more headaches since starting at the gym
Massage for headaches can help too:
- Remove general tension in the neck and shoulders and base of the skull (Trapezius muscle)
- Improve circulation in the muscle remove tension in the SCM (sternocleidomastoid) which can contribute to headaches and migraines
- Soften trigger points in the muscles which shorten them and affect their ability to work efficiently even in the muscles of the face.
Techniques of massage
- Gentle warming softening the area
- Applying pressure to trigger points (knots in the muscle) getting them to soften and release
- Stretching, kneading, petrissage
What you may notice after the massage
- You feel relaxed and quite tired
- Your muscles feel a little sore for 24 hours afterwards
- It feels easier to move your head and neck
- The Headaches reduce or stop
How many massage treatments will I need?
The amount of massage treatments you need really depends on the individual. How tight the muscles are. How long they have carried the tension and how quickly the muscles respond to the massage. Everyone is different. Sometimes only one treatment is needed, for someone else it could be two or even three
Check out the latest appointments to book call me on: 07905006678