What is it?
Deep Abdominal massage is a deep, but suprisingly relaxing massage performed on the abdomen that aims to release trapped gasses and clear waste products and blockages. Abdominal massage works to open up the abdominal cavity and release tension in the fascia so that organs can lay in their natural places and trigger points can be softened and released which can help to reduce referred pain. Trigger points in the Rectus Abdominis and Abdominal Obliques can refer pain to the the back and upset the natural pace of the digestive system.
Abdominal trigger points can influence the function of your gut, and gut dysfunction such as IBS can contibute to creating trigger points.
Doctors Travell and Simons noted that abdominal trigger points can cause more than just pain and muscle dysfunction. They can also be associated in the abdominal muscles with vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and constipation as well as common IBS symptoms.
Abdominal trigger points may be triggered by emotional stress, occupational strain, and performing fitness exercises such as sit-ups with poor technique, or simply trying to do too much exercise too soon and overworking the muscles.
Deep Abdominal Massage is good for:
- Increasing the efficiency of the Colon
- Sluggish lazy bowel
- Trapped wind
Or conditions that would prevent you having Deep Abdominal Massage
- Heart disorders
- Diabetes Type 1
- DVT Embolism or Aneurysm
- During the acute (flare up phase) of an illness such as Diverticulitis, Colitis
- Skin disorders – Phlebitis, ulceration, open wounds
- Infections, colds, flu, chest infections
- Pregnancy & 6 weeks after the birth
- Fitted with an IDU or Coil
- Suffering from sever abdominal pain
- Abdominals hernias or enlarged spleen
- Kidney disease
- Gastric Band or stomach bypass
- Advanced Cirrhosis
- M.E. & M.S. in the flare up phase
- Menstruation (can cause flooding)
- Any undiagnosed lumps
- 1 full hour of deep abdominal massage
- Deep Abdominal Massage combined with Deep Tissue Massage, Swedish Body Massage or Aromatherapy