Deep Tissue Massage for Hip pain can really help if the cause of the pain is muscular and especially if it is caused by trigger points (tight stuck areas of muscle fibre).
The possible causes of Hip Pain
- Sudden twisting of legs and body in opposite directions
- Lifting something heavy like a couch
- Playing sports like basket ball where there are sudden short quick changes of direction
- Slipping out of your high heeled shoes
- Falling and tripping over uneven pavements
- Slipping on wet or ice pavements
The Symptoms of Hip Pain
- Pain at that starts at the hip and travels down the leg
- Pain when you get up from sitting
- A constant nagging ache in your hip which nothing seems to relieve
- Pain at the back of the hip or side of the hip
- You think you might have Arthritis in your hip
- You have pain that starts in your hip but travels down your leg as far as your ankle and sometimes into your feet too
How Massage can help relieve Hip Pain
Massage works to ease tense and painful muscles softening the tension and allowing themuscle to relax and work properly. Sometimes during a massage we will come acrosstrigger points (knots) in the muscle, which effectively shorten the muscle. Imagine tying aknot in a rubber band and see how that effects the performance. It effects its ability to stretch and contract and it’s just the same with a muscle. We place gentle pressure onthe trigger point, massaging it until it releases and softens. Which allows the muscle to move freely and do it’s job properly. Which in turn removes the pain you areexperiencing.
Muscles which when tense or knotted contribute to hip pain
- Gluteus, Medius, Maximus and Minimus
- Rectus Femorus
- Vastus Lateralis
How Many Massage Treatments will I need?
This is a very individual thing. It can depend on:•How long its been painful. Sometime the longer the more stubbornly ingrained the knot and tension the more massage will be required.
It can depend on what you do between massages. If you go back to for instance full on weight training when your muscles are not entirely recovered then you risk putting your body back to square one.Sometimes we can sort the pain with one treatment. Sometimes it will take two to three or more,everyone is different and the amount of massage required will vary.